I just got the “MDM Report” newsletter from DMReview.com, and it had a good article by Jim Ericson on the MDM Summit held recently in San Francisco.
It also featured our article on “The Politics of Master Data Management and Data Governance“.
I thought Jim had some good insights, including:
- MDM (master data management) is a hot topic at Global 2000 companies
- MDM as a technology and practice is hugely underpenetrated
- Existing MDM programs are both focused and either very incomplete or fragmented
- While multi-entity MDM is becoming relevant to early and advanced adopters, the focus remains on the customer and the top line (with a strong nod to compliance)
- The cost of entry to MDM remains high and requires extensive pre-planning and governance strategies to be successful
- More enterprises are buying MDM solutions, while others continue to build on their own homegrown systems.
I really enjoyed the Spring ’08 MDM Summit, as always. We’ll be writing some additional articles about individual sessions and themes we observed in the next week or so.