Here’s a quick excerpt from my latest “MDM Insights” column in DM Review.
It’s a long journey from the first efforts of “customer cleanup” to a full-fledged data governance program. But that’s where many companies start. They gradually accept that there are issues with their customer data such as:
- A lack of consistently applied standards and controls,
- Problems arising from conversion of customer data from acquired companies,
- Lack of ownership of customer data,
- Invalid addresses leading to undelivered and returned mail or
- Customer service problems caused by large numbers of duplicate and inaccurate records.
So they form a committee, hire a consulting firm, and involve their internal IT folks. That’s a great start, but it’s important to realize that this is not a once-and-done project.
Click on “From Customer Cleanup to Data Governance” to continue reading.
And please let us know your thoughts by commenting here …